Globalization is an inevitable trend and it brings multiple challenges and opportunities. To avoid culture blunders, workplace learning and development professionals must understand cultural differences and be sensitive to the values, beliefs, and norms that exist in other countries. The globalization of business also will bring the world closer. For example, a best practice in India can foster insights to the implementation of a similar effort in the United States.
In today's interconnected world, learning professionals have the opportunity to network with their peers around the world. That's why ASTD created the Global Human Resource Development (HRD) Community of Practice, a community to share regional best practices, conduct global benchmarking, and discuss cross-culture and global talent development issues.
Through the world's largest training and development platform, ASTD reaches professionals on six continents and in more than 100 countries. As a native of China who has lived in the United States for more than eight years, and worked both in Eastern and Western cultures, I continue to benefit a great deal from sharing regional practices and global benchmarking. Now using the extensive content ASTD publishes, I hope to serve you and connect you with the world.
If your organization is multinational, your work is multicultural, or you are interested in the best practices from other countries, make sure to check out the resources I'll provide for you in this Community of Practice:
- numerous articles and books about the global workforce and cross-culture issues
- a monthly global HRD newsletter that captures the latest trends, global learning events, and voices from learning and development professionals worldwide
- a global learning community on LinkedIn and Facebook (search for: ASTD International)
- various activities at ASTD's 2012 International Conference & Exposition
- more multilanguage materials, education programs, and research reports.
This community will continue to grow with your support. So if you have ideas, articles, books, presentations, and videos you would like to share, please contact me!
I look forward to building this community with you.