Government agencies, like private sector organizations, continually look for ways to increase efficiencies and improve agency performance. Having a knowledgeable, skilled workforce is a critical step in meeting those goals. To help managers and learning professionals build their talent, the American Society for Training & Development (ASTD) has several new offerings tailored specifically to the needs of professionals in the public sector.
One certificate program, "Managing Talent for Mission Success," is designed for managers and supervisors, training and development practitioners, and HR specialists in the federal government. This practical two-day workshop will enable participants to better leverage their role in the organization to more effectively inform, influence, and lead talent management in support of mission achievement. Participants will explore a six step process:
- define organizational strategy linked to human capital goals and objectives
- identify knowledge, skill, and experience needs to enable organization strategy
- recruit, hire, and onboard employees with required knowledge, skills, and experience
- establish and sustain a "talent friendly" work culture to support high performance and commitment
- deploy a planning process to ensure succession readiness for mission critical occupations
- develop an infrastructure to support and continuously improve talent management.
Other ASTD certificate programs explore topics relevant in the public sector like training design and delivery, coaching, human performance improvement, managing organizational knowledge, and measuring and evaluating learning. ASTD offers other beneficial resources to public sector employees. Through its content licensing program ASTD enables agencies to deliver learning libraries to agencies' protected websites, providing employees with access to cutting edge training materials. The Public Manager, a quarterly journal dedicated to encouraging professionalism and high performance in all levels of government, gives public managers and executives the opportunity to write and share ideas about critical public management issues. ASTD Press offers books that can help managers and training professionals in the public sector such as High-Impact Middle Management: Solutions for Today's Busy Public Sector Managers, written by Lisa Haneberg.
More information about ASTD's resources for the public sector is available at