Program Advisory Committee Proposal Review and Selection
Role of the Planning Committee
The Program Advisory Committee is composed of individuals from the field with significant experience in the specific track areas. Committee members are assigned to each track and review all proposals submitted in that track. A chairperson assists with coordinating the activities of the committee.
The selection process follows a rigorous online review of every proposal submitted. The committee also meets in person and by conference call to make recommendations for selections and assist in planning other conference educational activities. Many more proposals are submitted than can be selected. Only the very best are selected.
Proposals are selected on the basis of information submitted. Submitters are expected to follow the instructions carefully and supply all requested information. Missing or incorrect information could make the proposal ineligible for consideration.
The proposed session must clearly apply to the target audience, fit into one of the nine tracks, match at least one of the Learning Approaches, and be delivered by a speaker with substantial topic knowledge and experience facilitating learning experiences and/or speaking to large groups.
Proposals are evaluated using the following additional criteria:
- Content that is current and practical, cutting edge or innovative as it relates to the workplace learning and performance field
- Programs and initiatives that demonstrate measurable business impact and results
- Global issues addressing interests of the international community and multi-national organizations
- Completeness, accuracy, and clarity of the proposal. Proposals that do not follow the instructions will be ineligible
- Clear, specific, and informative content which is directly linked to the learning objectives
- Application-focused learning objectives which can realistically be met in the time allotted
- A balanced slate of speakers representing diverse backgrounds, viewpoints, organizations, and geography.
To achieve a balanced conference program, ASTD will determine the days and times that sessions are scheduled. Some speakers may be asked to repeat sessions that are considered especially relevant or popular.
ASTD staff will notify all speakers of an accepted or declined proposal via email by November 29, 2013.