Create quality multimedia quickly and cost-effectively.
As technology has made audio, video, and online tools more affordable and easier to use, the 21st century learning professional now has endless opportunities to deliver training outside of the classroom. Today's professional must build their skills in digital production in order to remain competitive. This intensive, fast-paced certificate program is designed to catapult trainers and instructional designers ahead of the curve to provide the skills needed to make powerful multimedia content quickly and cost effectively.
The availability of these tools is not enough to ensure trainers and instructional designers can create content that aids learning. And, creating fast, effective and economical multimedia content does not stop at simply knowing how to structure it. Trainers and instructional designers using multimedia must possess a foundational understanding of how adults learn and the principles of media psychology. This will facilitate the planning of content that's not just show and tell, but creates learning that truly sticks. This new knowledge also needs to be matched with production techniques that save time and money and ensure quality. This two-day certificate program provides an introduction to creating multimedia content that looks great, aids learning, doesn't take forever to create, and doesn't waste money in the production process.
As part of the registration fee, each participant will receive a high definition handheld camcorder and a headset/microphone to take back to work.
After this workshop, participants are able to:
- create learning content that's easy to understand by drawing on the principles of media psychology.
- make multimedia learning points easy to remember.
- understand of when and when not to use audio, video, text and animation for learning.
- write scripts for audio and video that make learning content quick to understand and easy to remember.
- apply a production process for basic audio podcasts.
- apply a production process for basic online video.
- write and design online content that reinforces learning.
- source appropriate equipment and software to make multimedia effectively but inexpensively.
- gain insider tips on the equipment sales people will want to sell them at high commissions that they don't need to buy.
- avoid common mistakes in multimedia content conceptualization and production.
- Face-to-Face2 days
- On-SiteFlexible dates & duration
Format and Technical Requirements
This is a two-day face-to-face learning event in which participants bring their laptops. A high definition handheld camcorder and headset/microphone will be provided to each participant to take back to work as part of the registration fee. To learn more about the format and equipment requirements for this workshop, click here.
Note: ASTD also offers the Rapid Video for Learning Certificate Program, which covers the topic of video on a much deeper level. That program is a detailed look at the storyboarding and production planning processes, shot selection, graphics, editing, sound and audio, and compression.
In addition, the Multimedia for Learning Certificate uses basic point-and-shoot flip-style cameras that they take home with them. In the Rapid Video Development for Learning Certificate, participants will use more advanced cameras owned by and returned to ASTD; giving them the opportunity to learn how to use the manual functions as well as a tripod and external microphone.
Watch what our past participants are saying about this not-to-miss program!
Multimedia for Instructional Designers from Talkshow Media on Vimeo.
After this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Describe the psychology of audio and how it works as a communication method.
- Identify the strengths and weaknesses of audio as a communication and learning method.
- Determine when and when not to use audio for pedagogic purposes based on its strengths and weaknesses as both a communication and learning method.
- Describe the production process involved in creating professional quality audio content.
- Plan and write a podcast script following audio writing conventions.
- Create a basic audio recording for posting to the Web to a professional broadcast standard.
- Describe the psychology of video and how it works as a communication method.
- Identify the strengths and weaknesses of video as a communication and learning method.
- Determine when and when not to use video for pedagogic purposes, based on its strengths and weaknesses as a communication and learning method.
- Describe the production process involved in creating professional quality video content.
- Storyboard a video and write a script following video writing conventions.
- Create a very basic video sequence for learning to a professional web standard.
- Write web content based on emerging web grammar conventions.
- How adults learn
- Psychology of audio and learning
- Creating audio podcasts—participants will create an professionally packaged audio podcast
- Psychology of video and learning
- How to shoot good video on affordable portable video cameras
- How to edit video
- How to create online text that's quick to understand and easy to remember
- Visual considerations of learning design
- Group production exercise
Who Should Attend
This certificate program is for learning professionals who wish to learn how to make audio, video, and written content to aid learning. It’s ideal for trainers who want to use multimedia in their work, as well as instructional designers and learning executives who want a practical overview of multimedia production. While this course is designed to provide a foundational skillset in using multimedia for learning, many learning professionals with existing multimedia skills may attend to fill in their gaps and strengthen their existing knowledge.
Credits & Attendance
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
Earn 1.4 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon successfully completing this program. Learn More
CPLP© Recertification Points
This program may be eligible for up to 14 CPLP recertification points. Learn more at astd.org/recertification.
HRCI Recertification Credits
This program has been pre-approved for 14 (General) recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR, and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute.
Participation in all originally scheduled days of the program is mandatory in order to receive the certificate of completion and 1.4 CEUs. Participants who miss more than two hours of the entire program will not be eligible to receive the certificate. Participants who fulfill the attendance requirement will receive a certificate at the end of the program.
To view our transfer and cancellation policies, please click here.