The task of designing and developing a mentoring program can be daunting. This workshop examines what you need to develop a successful mentoring program, and provides you with best practices for implementing it.
The first session begins by building a definition of mentoring and contrasting it with the discipline of coaching. You’ll look at how to prepare for a successful mentoring program by partnering with leadership, establishing a business case, and identifying performance outcomes. You will start building a draft program plan during the session. By the end of this session, you will be able to:
- Define mentorship and mentoring.
- Align a mentoring program with key goals and initiatives in an organization.
- Describe the desired outcomes of a mentoring program.
- Discover how communication and marketing of a mentoring program affect its success.
Once a plan is in place, you need to make decisions around mentor/mentee matching, mentoring agreements, and time frames. You’ll work together to solve mentorship problems and challenges. You will also have the opportunity to continue work on your mentoring program project plans, which will include a detailed structure, program notes, and initial content that will be further developed. By the end of session two, you will be able to:
- Identify the key characteristics of a successful mentoring program.
- Design the structure and content of a mentoring program.
In the final workshop session, you’ll explore two critical aspects of mentoring: preparing mentors and measuring impact. You will learn how to cultivate effective mentors, as well as develop two to three key measures of success for your programs. At the end of session three, you will be able to:
- Train internal or external mentors in providing mentoring experiences.
- List key measures for a mentoring program.
Who Should Attend
This program is for professionals who are new to building and implementing mentoring programs. Experience as a mentor or mentee is a benefit, but not required. Learning and development professionals with experience in mentoring who would like to refresh some foundational skills will also benefit from this program.