About this Program
Module 1: The Technical Training Engima
Technical training is not easy, but if you are able to crack the “Technical Training Enigma”, you increase your chances for success. In this session, we will explore the basics of technical training, including those specific items that make technical training different from non-technical training. The roles needed for technical course development, including the characteristics of a good SME and an effective course developer, are described. Learners will have the chance to evaluate their own strengths and areas for improvement. By the end of this session, learners will be able to:
- Define technical training and identify differences between technical and non-technical training.
- Evaluate the characteristics of an effective technical developer.
- Explain the characteristics of an ideal SME.
- Identify tips for finding this ideal SME.
Module 2: Technical Training Development
This session covers how to successfully and efficiently develop technical training courses. Early considerations for development as well as tips for success when selecting an organizational system, incorporating interactivity, and dealing with a specialized jargon will be discussed. The session will end with an in-depth look at completing the editing process with an SME. After this session, learners will be able to:
- Evaluate the different ways to begin the technical training project.
- Identify needs analysis questions that are specific to technical training.
- Select an organizational system for your training course.
- Determine tactics to deal with specialized language and technical jargon.
- Implement strategies for navigating the editing process with an SME.
Module 3: Challenges and Solutions
This session will cover common challenges and solutions to technical training development; such as projects that never get finished, technical content that is too complicated for most developers to understand, and teaching products or procedures that are constantly in flux. Most importantly, learners will have a chance to discuss and generate solutions for their own technical training challenges. At the end of this session, learners will be able to identify and implement solutions for a variety of technical training challenges.