About this Program
In today’s competitive business climate, companies must constantly improve their products, services, and human capital, or be replaced by smarter competitors. Learning and development programs have a crucial role to play in this effort … provided the knowledge they impart is transferred to the work of the organization.
Now more than ever, business managers want to see results from their training investments. The Learning Transfer certificate program will teach you to go “beyond ADDIE” to apply best practices from world-class companies that increase the value of learning and development.
This interactive workshop is based on the bestselling Six Disciplines of Breakthrough Learning. It stresses real-world application of proven tools, techniques, and processes; combining a two-day hands-on session with 8 weeks of on-the-job support for learning transfer. You’ll learn how to apply the 6Ds® that turn training into business results:
- Define Business Outcomes.
- Design the Complete Experience.
- Deliver for Application.
- Drive Learning Transfer.
- Deploy Performance Support.
- Document Results.
By practicing these six disciplines you’ll ensure that:
- Training leads to improved performance.
- Learning is transferred and applied on the job.
- Participants in your programs achieve performance goals.
- Learning and development earns a reputation as a strategic business partner.
- You are more highly valued and enjoy greater respect as a learning professional.
The program includes a signed copy of The Six Disciplines of Breakthrough Learning for each participant, a 200+ page workbook; electronic copies of the job aids, checklists and tools; and 8 weeks on online coaching from the facilitators. Certificates of completion will be awarded to those who demonstrate learning transfer and successful application of the 6Ds to their work back on the job after the 8 weeks of online coaching is completed.
- Select program or case to use in workshop.
- Read introduction to 6Ds.
- Discuss learning goals with manager.
- Complete online survey to benchmark current practices.
- What makes a learning experience valuable to organizations and individuals?
- Objectives, agenda, materials, tools, participants
- Training effectiveness today
- The “moment of truth” and the two key questions
D1: Define Business Outcomes
- Order-takers versus strategic business partners
- Features, advantages, and benefits of training
- Why learning objectives are not sufficient
- Performance consulting and Outcomes Planning Wheel
- Practice mapping needs and expected outcomes
D2: Design the Complete Experience
- Learning is a process not an event
- Expectations matter and how to influence them
- Practice improving course descriptions/invitations
- A new paradigm for when a class ends
- Practice redefining the finish line for learning
D3: Deliver for Application
- Key impediments to delivering for application
- D3 and the “Can I? question
- Learning, memory, and performance
- D3 and the “Will I? question
- Motivation and adult learning
- Practice creating a value chain for your program
- Monitoring perceived utility and relevance
D4: Drive Learning Transfer
- A process approach
- Business case for learning transfer
- The transfer climate
- Practice developing a plan to improve transfer
- Securing greater management support
D5: Deploy Performance Support
- Analogy to customer support
- When support is most valuable
- Key features of effective support
- Share best practices
- People as performance support
- Practice developing post-program support
D6: Document Results
- Ends versus means
- Why document results?
- Guiding principles for evaluation
- Practice applying evaluation principles
- When to measure/Leading indicators
- Power of stories
- Practice developing an evaluation strategy for your program
Conclusion and Post-Training Support
- Elevator speech
- Share progress and continue learning back on the job
- Online coaching from facilitator
- Capstone teleconference two months post-training
- Certificates of completion awarded to those who achieved learning transfer