Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are a recognized method of quantifying participation in an organized continuing education experience under responsible sponsorship, capable direction, and qualified instruction. One CEU is defined as ten contact hours of time spent in an educational experience.
The primary purpose of CEUs is to provide a permanent record of the educational accomplishments of an individual who has completed significant non-credit educational and career enhancement activities. CEUs are especially important to those who seek to maintain a credential, such as the Certified Professional in Learning and Performance (CPLP).
As a provider of educational programs since 1941, ASTD is qualified to award CEUs to program participants based on the following criteria:
- ASTD has a system in place to identify learners who meet requirements for satisfactory workshop completion and maintains a record for at least seven years of each learner's participation.
- ASTD creates a learning environment and supplies support services appropriate to the stated continuing education or training goals and learning outcomes.
- ASTD's programs are planned in response to identified needs of our target audience.
- ASTD has clear written statements of intended learning outcomes based on identified needs.
- ASTD has qualified personnel involved in planning and conducting program activities.
- ASTD's content and instructional methods are appropriate for the learning outcomes of each activity.
- ASTD has established procedures to assess achievement of the program's learning outcomes. Such learning is measured by several methods including self-assessment, instructor observation, and completion of exercises and activities.
- ASTD evaluates each program after it has taken place in order to make continuous improvements.
For information on the number of CEUs granted in each ASTD Certificate Program visit each course webpage by clicking on the appropriate item to the left.
Questions regarding CEUs should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.