The Excellence in Practice Awards program recognizes results achieved through the use of practices and solutions from the entire scope of workplace learning and talent development.
A practice may be entered for consideration in two categories.
- Career Development
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Managing the Learning Function
- Integrated Talent Management
- Facilitation Organizational Change
- Performance Improvement
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Learning Technologies
- Organizational Learning and Development
- Sales Enablement
Accomplishments will be recognized at two levels:
Awards: Presented to practices that have demonstrated clear and measurable results of achieving organizational goals, meet a demonstrated need, have appropriate design values, and are clearly aligned with other performance improvement initiatives. These practices have long-term, sustained results.
Citations: Presented to practices that have yet to demonstrate clear and measurable results, but that have strong evaluation plans, meet a demonstrated need, and have appropriate design values. Practices must be fully implemented to be considered. Citation winners are encouraged to seek an Excellence in Practice Award in a subsequent year.
Award and Citation winners will be honored at the awards ceremony during the ATD International Conference & Exposition May 2015 in Orlando, FL. Announcements of the winners will be in ATD publications and on the ATD website.
1. The following criteria will be used to evaluate the Excellence in Practice applications:
- needs identification
- indication that the practice was an appropriate response to the problem or need
- design approach
- evidence that the intervention was designed and implemented in a way that considered the best interests of the organization as well as those of employees
- evidence of, and degree of alignment with, other training, learning, and performance improvement practices, as well as organizational goals, to achieve desired outcomes
- evidence of partnerships within and outside the organization (e.g., with senior management, frontline supervisors, unions, external resources, etc.)
- evaluation strategy
- evidence of a clear, measurable, and feasible evaluation plan
- evidence of actual or anticipated organizational impact
- evidence of actual or anticipated individual/team impact
- organizational learning
- indications that this practice can be transferred and replicated in other organizations
- extents of the diffusion of this practice in the field
- opportunities for other professionals to learn from this practice
2. All practices must be nominated by two individuals, at least one of whom is from the company, organization, or entity in which the practice is used.
3. Because practices focus on results, training suppliers and consultants should apply only in collaboration with a customer. The application must be written from the perspective of the customer organization.
4. Applicants and nominators are not required to be members of ATD.
5. Practices may range from a single, narrowly focused activity to a multifaceted, multidisciplinary initiative, so long as the results can be clearly linked to advancing the organization's goals. ATD staff will review all initial applications to ensure they are complete and may request additional information. All complete applications will go through a blind review process conducted by a panel of experts from companies in the ATD Forum, ATD staff, and other training and performance improvement experts. ATD reserves the right to dismiss applications that lack clarity or sufficient information.
6. Applications MUST be anonymous. Identifying information about the organization (name or staff members) should be completely stripped from the application that is submitted to reviewers. Applicants who violate this rule risk disqualification.
ATD is committed to shared learning and recognition of excellence. ATD will disseminate and share information from the winning applications, and will recognize the winning organizations on its website, in publications, and at the ATD International Conference & Exposition in May 2015, in Orlando, FL.