This award recognizes an individual whose advocacy, commitment, or actions in support of workplace learning and performance has influenced audiences or organizations. The award recipient is someone from outside the field of workplace learning and performance who is in a leadership position within an organization or is a writer, journalist, or thought leader with an interest in learning and performance and the appropriate forum from which to influence others.
This award has been presented to
- Doug Conant, founder and CEO of Conant Leadership
- Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger, III, founder and CEO of Safety Reliability Methods
- John F. Welch, chairman and CEO of the General Electric Company
- Thomas A. Stewart, board of editors of Fortune magazine
- Robert W. Galvin, Chairman of the Executive Committee of Motorola
- John Chambers, CEO of Cisco Systems
- Frederick W. Smith, CEO of Federal Express
- Steven Piersanti, president of Berrett-Koehler Publishers
- William Taylor and Alan Webber, founding editors of Fast Company
- Danny Wegman, CEO of Wegmans Food Markets
- Frances Hesselbein, chairman of the board of governors, Leader to Leader Institute
- Jim Collins, researcher and author
- Robert Kaplan and David Norton, creators of the Balanced Scorecard
- John Seely Brown, independent co-chair of the Deloitte Center for the Edge
- Ram Charan, business consultant.
Candidates will be evaluated on the scope and depth of documented advocacy, commitment, or actions which have promoted workplace learning and performance.
Specifically, the evaluation will look for
- a position on workplace learning and performance that affirms that people are value-added contributors to organizational success and that strategically links workplace learning and performance to furthering organizational goals and objectives
- success in engaging appropriate audiences in a productive examination of issues relevant to workplace learning and performance
- success in increasing understanding and awareness of the issues in workplace learning and performance
- examples of situations where the nominee's influence has moved an organization or audience to take action on critical issues within workplace learning and performance
- examples of nominee's leadership on issues or programs that had substantial impact on workplace learning and performance.
Eligible candidates are individuals from outside the field of workplace learning and performance but are not members of the U.S. Congress and the Administration or others in a national or state policy-making role. These latter individuals are eligible for ASTD's Public Policy Award.
The 2012 application deadline is November 1, 2012.
Nominators will receive notification of the decisions regarding their entries by March 11, 2013.
The award winners will be honored at the awards ceremony during the ASTD International Conference & Exposition, May 19-22, 2013, in Dallas, Texas. Announcements of the award will be in ASTD publications and on the ASTD website.
List name of nominee and contact information, including title, organization, address, telephone, fax, and email.
List name of nominator and contact information, including title, organization, address, telephone, fax,and email.
Sections 1-3 (below) must not exceed five typed pages.
Nominations for this award should be supported by:
Documented examples of advocacy, commitment, or actions such as writings, speeches, policies recommended, sponsorship or resourcing of initiatives or activities, and/or specific situations where influence was brought to bear. Include the extent and nature of time or support given to promoting workplace learning and performance.
Type and size of audiences or organizations influenced.
Documented examples of action taken by audiences or organizations as a result of candidate's advocacy and support for workplace learning and performance.
Provide the names and contact information of two individuals who can provide additional information regarding this nomination. Include title, organization, address, telephone, fax, and email.
5. Submit an electronic copy of the entry to:
ASTD Awards Program
1640 King Street - Box 1443
Alexandria, VA 22313-2043 USA